Updated on March 28th, 2018
Owned and operated by Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC.
Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC (HIE) is an online service that provides recommendations and eBooking capabilities for hotels, resorts, inns, vacations, travel packages, travel guides and lots more. Our website, mobile properties, and related applications (collectively, our “Website”) are part of the Hawaiian Islands Enterprises Media Network, which is owned and operated by Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC. More details about Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC can be found below under “How you can contact us.”
We understand that providing information online involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it a high priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you provide to us when you visit our Website or use our services. Before submitting your personal information to us, please read this Policy carefully to learn about our privacy practices. By visiting a Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC. website, or using a Hawaiian Island Enterprises application (an “Application” or “App”) on a mobile phone, tablet, or similar device (a “Device”) or in connection with other sites or services, you are accepting the practices described herein.
- What information we collect from you
- How we use your information
- With whom we share your information
- How you can access your information
- Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- How we protect your information
- Children's privacy
- External links
- Visiting our Website from outside the United States
- Your California privacy rights
- How you can contact us
What information we collect from you
We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), including your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, user name and password, and billing information (such as your credit card number, cardholder name, and card expiration date). We may also request information about your travel plans, style, and preferences, including meal requests, seat selection, frequent flyer/hotel/car rental program information, and flight class, luggage, and ticketing options. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to receive relevant offerings from Hawaiian Island Enterprises and its partners and enjoy other benefits of being a registered member. For example, only registered members are able to post travel reviews, participate in discussion forums, email Hawaiian Island Enterprises content to themselves and others, access members-only newsletters and travel planning content, and enter surveys, contests, or sweepstakes. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to ask us a question or initiate other transactions on our site.
Information About Others.
You will have the opportunity to provide contact and travel-related information for other people through our Website. If you make a reservation for someone else through Hawaiian Island Enterprises, you will need to submit that individual’s personal information. You must obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal information, as any access to view or modify their information will be available only through your account.
Information from Other Sources.
We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to other information about you. For example, if you visit Hawaiian Island Enterprises by “clicking through” from a site operated by one of our business partners, and you have registered with that partner, then information about you that you have provided to that partner may be shared with us, such as contact information and demographic information. As another example, if you access third party services, such as social media services, through our Website or before coming to our Website, we may collect information such as your user name, password, and other information made available to us through those services. We will work with our existing partners and potential future partners to improve and personalize your use of our Website in accordance with the practices outlined in this section and Policy.
We have partnered with Facebook to provide personalized content on Hawaiian Island Enterprises for members of Facebook. If you are logged into Facebook and Hawaiian Island Enterprises, Hawaiian Island Enterprises will be personalized for you when you visit the Website, even if you are a first-time user of Hawaiian Island Enterprise’s Website. For example, we will show you reviews that your Facebook friends have posted on Hawaiian Island Enterprises and places they have visited. In order to provide you with this personalized experience, Facebook provides us with information that you have chosen to make available pursuant to your Facebook privacy settings. That information may include your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available.
If you decide to turn off personalization, you can do so by first logging into Facebook and (1) selecting “Edit your profile” from the “Your Hawaiian Island Enterprises” drop-down menu on the Member Profile page and clicking “Disconnect” in the Facebook Connect status box, or (2) selecting “Connected accounts” from the “Your Hawaiian Island Enterprises” drop-down menu on the Member Profile Page and clicking “Disconnect” under “Facebook Settings.” You can also turn off personalization by editing your app settings on Facebook. Please note that if you have Facebook friends who are using Hawaiian Island Enterprises, they may also have shared information about you with us through Facebook. If you wish to prevent that sharing, you can do so by editing your Facebook privacy settings.
If you make travel reservations with third-party suppliers facilitated by Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC, we will collect payment information from you, including your credit card number, cardholder name, expiration date, authentication code, and billing address. We will securely transmit this information to the supplier of the travel reservation to complete the transaction. Please note that the supplier processes your payment, not Hawaiian Island Enterprises, unless otherwise specified. You agree to review and be bound by the supplier’s policies and procedures before making a reservation through Hawaiian Island Enterprises.
Location Information and Other Information from Devices.
When you use an Application on a Device, we will collect and use information about you in generally similar ways and for similar purposes as when you use the Hawaiian Island Enterprises website. In addition, we may collect information about your location if you have instructed your Device to send such information to the Application via the privacy settings on that Device, or if you have uploaded photos tagged with location information. We may use the location information collected from your Device or photos to enhance your use of the Application by providing you with relevant content and contextual advertising. For example, we may use your location to show you reviews of hotels or restaurants near you when you are traveling. You can change the privacy settings of your Device at any time, in order to turn off the functionality to share location information with the Application and/or the functionality to tag your photos with location information. Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our App. If you have any queries about the privacy settings of your Device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your Device or your mobile service provider for help. Therefore, irrespective of which country you reside in or supply information from, you authorized Hawaiian Island Enterprises, LLC to use your information in Hawaii and in any other State or Country where Hawaiian Island Enterprises, LLC operates.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
- To help us customize the content, experience, and advertisements provided to you on our websites and Apps and on other websites across the Internet. For example, when you access a web page, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. See Display of Advertising/Your Choices for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers should tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable most types of cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on our sites.
Our sites also may use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on our site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
Display of Advertising/Your Choices.
Data collected to serve you with relevant advertising
Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC. and its affiliated websites are committed to providing you with relevant content and information across our sites. To do this, we may collect information about your travel-related searches and other site activities, such as whether you are looking for airline flights or hotels, and use this information to serve you with ads on our sites or elsewhere online that match your apparent interests. So, for example, if you search for a flight to Kailua-Kona, HI on Hawaiian Island Enterprises, you may see an ad for a Big Island travel packages on Hawaiian Island Enterprises or on another website you visit.
We do not share your personal information (such as email addresses) with unaffiliated third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive relevant online advertising on other websites, based on your travel-related searches on Hawaiian Island Enterprises by clicking here.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising
Many of the advertisements you see on the Hawaiian Island Enterprises family of sites are served by Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC or its service providers. But we also allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our sites, and (2) advertising networks, who collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different websites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our sites and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests.
Advertising Initiative which offers a single location to opt out of ad targeting from member companies. To learn more, please click here.
Response to Do Not Track signals
Your web browser may transmit a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) signal to Hawaiian Island Enterprises and other websites. Because of differences in web browsers’ default settings and the manner in which browsers incorporate DNT signals, it is sometimes unclear to site operators whether site visitors have selected the DNT setting themselves, or whether they are aware that they have a choice in determining the setting. Hawaiian Island Enterprises does not currently respond to DNT signals. Once the Internet industry has settled on standards related to this issue and Hawaiian Island Enterprises recognizes such standards, we may reevaluate this approach.
How we use your information
If you have signed up as the owner or manager of a vacation rental, or listed your vacation rental property in our Destination Resources section, we will send you email messages at the email address you provide to us.
Please review "Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information" below.
With whom we share your information
Hawaiian Island Enterprises may share your information with the following entities:
- Third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including business analytics, payment processing, customer service, marketing, public relations, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including, for example, as necessary to operate features of our Website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose.
- Business partners with whom we may offer products or services in conjunction. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear either with ours or separately. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- Referring Websites. If you were referred to Hawaiian Island Enterprises from another website, we may share your registration information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number and travel preferences, about you with that referring website. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites’ use of personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you to Hawaiian Island Enterprises.
- Social Media Services. You can choose to access certain third party social media websites and services through our site (such as Facebook). When you do so, you are sharing information with those sites, and the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies. You may also be able to modify your privacy settings with these third party social media websites.
We also may share your information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary…
- To comply with legitimate and enforceable subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
If you choose to create a profile on Hawaiian Island Enterprises, certain information in your profile will be publicly viewable and identifiable via your screen name. You will have the ability to view your profile as members of the public will see it. Additionally, if you choose to participate in our member-to-member communications programs, other Hawaiian Island Enterprises members may contact you by using Hawaiian Island Enterprises as an intermediary; however, Hawaiian Island Enterprises will not share your email address with any other members nor display it any public manner. All Hawaiian Island Enterprises members have the option to turn off the member-to-member communication features at any time.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors our Website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
We may also share or disclose your information at your discretion, such as when you authorize a third-party web client or application to access your HawaiianIslandEnterprises.com account.
How you can access your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, and complete. You can access and update your contact information by visiting the Member Profile page on the Hawaiian Island Enterprises Website. You can close your Hawaiian Island Enterprises account by contacting us using this form. We will send you an email to confirm your request. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity.
Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- As discussed above, you can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to take advantage of certain features offered on Hawaiian Island Enterprises.
- You also can add or update information and close your account as described above. If you decide to close your Hawaiian Island Enterprises account, we will deactivate your account and remove your profile information from active view. Please note, however, that we may retain in our files some information associated with your account and past transactions for purposes including backups, fraud prevention, dispute resolution, investigations, and compliance with legal requirements.
- As a registered Hawaiian Island Enterprises member, you can modify your email subscription choices at any time on the Member Profile page. Whether registered as a Hawaiian Island Enterprises member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional messages in any such email we send. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating either to your Hawaiian Island Enterprises account, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- Email Communications. Hawaiian Island Enterprises wants to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on our Website. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your apparent travel-related interests. For example, if you search for a flight to Honolulu, or Waikiki hotels or reviews on Hawaiian Island Enterprises, we may send you an email message reminding you about special airfare or hotel offers in the Honolulu and Waikiki general area. Similarly, if you receive an email about Oahu travel and demonstrate an interest in Honolulu hotels, flights, or local travel reviews by affirmatively clicking on a link about Honolulu hotels in the email, you may receive an email about Honolulu hotel or flight offers. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available through our sites. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from Hawaiian Island Enterprises, you will not be able to access portions of our site.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using Hawaiian Island Enterprises, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal information between your system and ours, and between our system and those of the parties with whom we share sensitive information, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
Law & Harm
Hawaiian Island Enterprises is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to children. Should an individual whom we know to be a child under age 13 send personal information to us, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonably possible.
Visiting our Website from outside the United States
If you are visiting our Website from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, but please be assured that Hawaiian Island Enterprises does take steps pursuant to laws in the United States to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
How you can contact us
Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC
Attn: Legal Department, Privacy Officer
75-5660 Kopiko St. C7 #409
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA
Call Recording and Monitoring.
©2018 Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC. All rights reserved.
Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC is not a booking agent or tour operator, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (airlines, travel providers, and booking agents) who list airfare, tours, and travel packages on Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC websites and platforms are required to include all fees and surcharges in their listed prices. Examples include the Federal September 11th Security Fee, international departure and arrival taxes and fees, federal excise tax, and other service, handling and miscellaneous fees and surcharges. When you book with one of our partners, please be sure to check their site for a full disclosure of all applicable fees as required by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Airfares are generally quoted per person in USD unless otherwise noted.
For your convenience, Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC calculates an average price for each hotel, which is based on the rates of available rooms obtained from our booking partners. For tours and attractions, the price displayed is usually the lowest available per person adult price. For any travel packages or deals listed, Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. In addition, average hotel prices are updated nightly and displayed in your preferred currency using prevailing conversion rates. Since these converted prices are estimates, please check with the booking site for the exact amount and currency.
Furthermore, Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC makes no guarantees for availability of prices advertised on our site. Listed prices may require a stay of a particular length or have blackout dates, qualifications or restrictions.
Hawaiian Island Enterprises LLC is not responsible for content on external web sites. Taxes, fees not included for deals content.